Healthy Food Tips - Apple
Growing kids need a balanced diet! In this series we will discuss on diet tips and habits to help them maintain to good health.
Lets look on delicious Apples today!
Healthy Food #2: Apples
Delicious and crunchy, apple fruit is one of the most popular and favorite fruits among the health conscious, fitness lovers who firmly believe in the concept of “health is wealth.” This beautiful fruit packed with rich phytonutrients that, in the real sense indispensable for optimal health. Certain antioxidants in apples have health promoting and disease prevention properties, and thereby, truly justifying the adage, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
When it comes to your children, Apples are loaded with essential vitamins and minerals to keep your little ones healthy. They are relatively cheap when purchased in season and they’re versatile. Most children enjoy apples, so give your kids a nutritious and delicious snack that will keep them healthy now and into adulthood.
Health Benefits Of Apple For Kids:
- Apples contain the trace mineral boron. Boron is essential to your child because it helps harden his bones. Strong bones aid in preventing osteoporosis later in life, according to the University of Pittsburgh. Medline Plus states boron is needed for building muscle and improving cognitive skills and muscle coordination.
- Apples give your child a healthy dose of pectin. Pectin is a soluble fiber that assists your child in digesting foods more easily and is useful in treating diarrhea. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center states pectin may also be useful in preventing cancer and high cholesterol, which will reduce your child’s future risk for heart disease.
- Apples are rich in vitamins like A, B1, B2 and C. They also contain minerals like iodine, phosphorous, iron and calcium that aids in overall development of your kid. Minerals and vitamins are must for development of muscle tissues, skin, organs, blood and bones in children.
- Apples are nutritious no doubt, but, to make sure your child gets the most of them, here are some tips you can ponder over
- To get maximum benefits of apples for kids, make sure to choose the ones which are fresh and of superior quality.
- It is better to take the fruit with the red skin as most of the benefits are hidden in the skin.
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||218 kJ (52 kcal)|
|Dietary fiber||2.4 g|
|Vitamin A equiv.||
|Pantothenic acid (B5)||
|Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.|